Management Science using Excel
Dr. Isaac Gottlieb
Authors: Dr. Isaac Gottlieb
Publishing Date: 24th Aug 2023
Dimension: 7.5*9.25 Inches
Book Type: Paperback
This book on management science serves as a valuable resource for enhancing problem-solving and decision-making skills across various domains, including organizations and business. By reading this book, you will acquire the ability to tackle complex decisions that would otherwise be challenging. The book covers a wide array of techniques, such as profit and performance maximization, Return on Investment (ROI) optimization, as well as cost, time, and risk minimization through tools like Monte Carlo simulations and sensitivity analysis.
Throughout the book, you'll come across numerous real-life examples and case studies from diverse fields such as banking, finance, transportation, manufacturing, manpower assignment, scheduling, inventory management, and even food and product mix. The book demonstrates both linear and nonlinear techniques, utilizing Excel Solver for finding solutions. Once you grasp the usage of Solver, you'll be able to apply the learned tools effectively to address problems relevant to your background, experience, and preferences.
What sets this book apart is its hands-on approach, leveraging Excel as the primary tool for problem-solving. Rather than relying on complex mathematical formulations and algorithms, you'll learn how to set up and solve problems in a straightforward manner using Excel.
- Solve a wide range of decision-making problems in operations, finance, and statistics.
- Build and use Excel models to analyze data and make informed decisions.
- Use the Excel Solve function to find the optimal solution to a problem.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Learn how to set up decision making models on Excel.
- Solve optimization problems in the areas of business and operations.
- Harness the power of the Excel Solver add-in.
- Apply Monte Carlo simulations of risky investments using Excel.
- Learn how to predict future values using Excel forecasting features.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for any business or operations practitioner, regardless of their role or experience level. Whether you are an analyst, a business professional, or a student, this book can help you to improve your problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Making Better Decisions with Management Science
- Exploring Management Science Optimization Techniques
- Unleash the Power of Excel’s Solver for Optimizations
- Optimize Product Mix
- Investment and Portfolio Optimization with Excel’s Solver
- The Assignment Problem Challenges and Solutions
- Solving Transportation Supply Chain Problems
- Marketing Applications of Optimal Media Mix
- Integer and Binary Optimization
- The Scheduling Puzzle
- Nonlinear Optimization Applied to Inventory and Facility Location
- Monte Carlo Simulations
- Simplifying Forecasting Using Excel’s Forecast Sheet Feature
- Queuing and Waiting Time
For more than 25 years, Dr. Isaac Gottlieb has been teaching Excel workshops for MBA students in several universities, including Columbia, New York, Rutgers, and other universities in the US and other countries. In addition, he taught courses in Management Science and Statistics for Managers (always) using Excel. Over 100,000 students have attended his workshops and courses over the past 25 years.
He received the Microsoft MVP – Most Valuable Professional – award for 2014-6. A Microsoft “Most Valuable Professional” (MVP) is an award for individuals who have exhibited exceptional technical expertise and a talent for sharing knowledge within their technical community.” (From Microsoft’s site.)
Isaac Gottlieb has taught how to use Excel and apply it effectively to various business disciplines to thousands of corporate professionals from leading multinational companies and small private business corporations. Among them are Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble, Caterpillar, Vornado, El-Al Airlines, Microsoft, Intel, Boeing, NCR, Chrysler, Sealed Air, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, 3M, H-P, and the New York City Economic Development Corporation.
He has an Excel-Tip-Of-The-Month newsletter that goes to over 35,000 recipients.
Dr. Gottlieb has earned his Ph.D. and two Masters's Degrees from the Columbia University Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research. He has over 20 years of business and industry experience as a CEO of manufacturing companies and senior consultant.
His last two books were:
Excel 2022 Pro 100 + PivotTables, Charts & Reports: Explore Excel 2022 with Graphs, Animations, Sparklines, Goal Seek, Histograms, Correlations, Dashboards (English Edition), BPB.
Next Generation Excel®, Modelling in Microsoft® Excel® for Analysts and MBAs (for Windows® and Mac® OS), Wiley.