Hands-On Kubernetes, Service Mesh and Zero-Trust
Swapnil Dubey, Mandar J. Kulkarn
Authors: Swapnil Dubey, Mandar J. Kulkarni
Publishing Date: 20th Jun 2023
Dimension: 7.5*9.25 Inches
Book Type: Paperback
Building and managing secure applications is a crucial aspect of modern software development, especially in distributed environments. Kubernetes and Istio, when combined, provide a powerful platform for achieving application security and managing it effectively. If you want to build and manage secure applications with ease, then this book is an ideal resource for you.
The book extensively covers the building blocks of the Kubernetes orchestration engine, providing in-depth insights into key Kubernetes objects that can be effectively used for deploying containerized applications. It then focuses on all major Kubernetes constructs, offering guidance on their appropriate utilization in different scenarios, while emphasizing the significance of a Zero Trust architecture. Additionally, the book addresses important aspects such as service discovery, optimized logging, and monitoring, which play a critical role in managing distributed applications. It also incorporates essential concepts from Site Reliability Engineering and enabling engineering teams, to proactively meeting Service Level Agreements and attaining operational readiness. In the final section, the book takes a deep dive into Service Mesh, with a special focus on harnessing the strength of Istio as a powerful tool.
By the end of the book, you will have the knowledge and skills to effectively build, deploy, and manage secure applications using Kubernetes and Istio.
- Delve into security practices that guarantee resilience and secure deployments.
- Discover strategies for managing Kubernetes clusters, enhancing performance, and achieving high availability and scalability.
- Acquire a conceptual understanding of the challenges faced in production environments and explore industry-standard solutions for efficient resolution.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Learn how to successfully deploy applications on Kubernetes.
- Gain insights into the principles of Zero Trust architecture and its implementation within the Kubernetes orchestration platform.
- Get familiar with the concepts of service discovery and efficient scaling in Kubernetes, empowering you to optimize your application deployments.
- Learn about monitoring and logging within applications, and explore the essential aspects of observability to ensure the reliability of your systems.
- Acquire expertise in service mesh, particularly Istio, to efficiently handle traffic, enhance application reliability, and fortify security measures.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book caters to a wide range of readers, including developers utilizing Kubernetes, DevOps teams, senior software engineers, cloud-native teams, and cloud developers with a foundational knowledge of containers and software development.
- Docker and Kubernetes 101
- HTTP Load Balancing with Ingress
- Kubernetes Workload Resources
- ConfigMap, Secrets, and Labels
- Configuring Storage with Kubernetes
- Introduction to Service Discovery
- Zero Trust Using Kubernetes
- Monitoring, Logging and Observability
- Effective Scaling
- Introduction to Service Mesh and Istio
- Traffic Management Using Istio
- Observability Using Istio
- Securing Your Services Using Istio
Swapnil Dubey has been working as an Architect at SLB since 2019, with a IT total experience of more that 14 years with enterpireses like Snapdeal, Pubmatic and Schlumberger. His current role at SLB involves designing and guiding technical teams implement data intensive workloads using Microservices and distributing computing architectural patterns hosted on public cloud (GCP & Azure) and On premise.
In the past, he has served as Trainers for BigData technologies like Hadoop and Spark (Certified Trainer with Cloudera), and facilitated approximately 20 batches of people to kickstart their journey of Distributed computing. Moreover, he has spoken in multiple national & international conferences, where the key topic to talk was about containers and their management using Kubernetes.
He completed his Masters from BITS Pilani in Data Analytics, and also holds Professional Architect Certifications in GCP and Microsoft Azure. This is his second book. Before this one, he has authored a book Scaling Google Cloud Platform with BPB Publications.
Mandar J. Kulkarni has been working in software development and design for more than 16 years, and has played multiple roles such as Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Technical Leader, Project manager and Software Architect. Currently, he is an architect in SLB building data products on top of Open Subsurface Data Universe (OSDU) Data Platform. He has also contributed to OSDU Data Platform with multiple architectural modifications and improvements.
He has acquired Professional Cloud Architect certification from Google Cloud and also holds a Masters degree from BITS Pilani in Software Engineering. He has been a technical blogger for a while and this is first foray into writing a complete book.