Practical Digital Forensics
Dr. Akashdeep Bhardwaj, Keshav Kaushik
Authors: Dr. Akashdeep Bhardwaj, Keshav Kaushik
Publishing Date: Jan 2023
Dimension: 7.5*9.25 Inches
Book Type: Paperback
A Guide to Enter the Journey of a Digital Forensic Investigator
- Provides hands-on training in a forensics lab, allowing learners to conduct their investigations and analysis.
- Covers a wide range of forensics topics such as web, email, RAM, and mobile devices.
- Establishes a solid groundwork in digital forensics basics including evidence-gathering tools and methods.
Forensics offers every IT and computer professional a wide opportunity of exciting and lucrative career. This book is a treasure trove of practical knowledge for anyone interested in forensics, including where to seek evidence and how to extract it from buried digital spaces.
The book begins with the exploration of Digital Forensics with a brief overview of the field's most basic definitions, terms, and concepts about scientific investigations. The book lays down the groundwork for how digital forensics works and explains its primary objectives, including collecting, acquiring, and analyzing digital evidence. This book focuses on starting from the essentials of forensics and then practicing the primary tasks and activities that forensic analysts and investigators execute for every security incident. This book will provide you with the technical abilities necessary for Digital Forensics, from the ground up, in the form of stories, hints, notes, and links to further reading.
Towards the end, you'll also have the opportunity to build up your lab, complete with detailed instructions and a wide range of forensics tools, in which you may put your newly acquired knowledge to the test.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Get familiar with the processes and procedures involved in establishing your own in-house digital forensics lab.
- Become confident in acquiring and analyzing data from RAM, HDD, and SSD.
- In-detail windows forensics and analyzing deleted files, USB, and IoT firmware.
- Get acquainted with email investigation, browser forensics, and different tools to collect the evidence.
- Develop proficiency with anti-forensic methods, including metadata manipulation, password cracking, and steganography.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
Anyone working as a forensic analyst, forensic investigator, forensic specialist, network administrator, security engineer, cybersecurity analyst, or application engineer will benefit from reading this book. You only need a foundational knowledge of networking and hardware to get started with this book.
- Introduction to Digital Forensics
- Essential Technical Concepts
- Hard Disks and File Systems
- Requirements for a Computer Forensics Lab
- Acquiring Digital Evidence
- Analysis of Digital Evidence
- Windows Forensic Analysis
- Web Browser and E-mail Forensics
- E-mail Forensics
- Anti-Forensics Techniques and Report Writing
- Hands-on Lab Practical
Dr. Akashdeep Bhardwaj is currently working as Professor (Cyber Security & Digital Forensics) at University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun, India. He is an eminent industry expert with over 27 years of experience in Cybersecurity, Digital Forensics and IT Management Operations. Dr. Akashdeep mentors national & international graduate, masters and doctoral students and leads several Cybersecurity projects, including Cyber CoE. Dr. Akashdeep holds a post-doctoral in Computer Science along with over 20 IT industry certifications.
Dr. Akashdeep has published over 100 research papers, chapters, books and patent. Dr. Akashdeep has worked as Technology Leader for various multinational organizations and is certified in Cybersecurity, Compliance Audits, Information Security, Microsoft, Cisco and VMware technologies.
Keshav Kaushik is an experienced educator with over eight years of teaching and research experience in Cybersecurity, Digital Forensics, and the Internet of Things. He is working as an Assistant Professor (Senior Scale) in the School of Computer Science at the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India. He has published 65+ research papers in International Journals and has presented at reputed International Conferences. He is a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) v11, CQI and IRCA Certified ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Lead Auditor, Quick Heal Academy Certified Cyber Security Professional (QCSP), and IBM Cybersecurity Analyst. He acted as a keynote speaker and delivered 50+ professional talks on various national and international platforms. He has edited over ten books with reputed international publishers like Springer, Taylor and Francis, IGI Global, Bentham Science, etc. He has chaired various special sessions at international conferences and also served as a reviewer in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.