PostgreSQL for Jobseekers
Sonia Valeja, David Gonzalez
Authors: Sonia Valeja, David Gonzalez
Publishing Date: 22nd Jun 2023
Dimension: 7.5*9.25 Inches
Book Type: Paperback
PostgreSQL is a powerful open-source relational database management system (RDBMS) that is widely used in the industry. If you are seeking to acquire knowledge about PostgreSQL, this book is for you.
This comprehensive book provides you with a solid foundation in working with PostgreSQL, a popular open-source database management system. It covers a broad spectrum of topics, allowing you to successfully install and configure PostgreSQL across various platforms and methods. By delving into the internal components that constitute a PostgreSQL service and their interplay, you will gain a deep understanding of how these elements collaborate to deliver a robust and dependable solution. From comprehending the process model and shared memory to mastering query execution and optimization, you will acquire comprehensive knowledge of PostgreSQL's internal workings. Furthermore, the book explores essential tasks performed by a database administrator (DBA), including backup and restore operations, security measures, performance tuning, and troubleshooting techniques. Lastly, it explores widely used extensions and compatible tools that can enhance the functionality of PostgreSQL.
Upon completing this book, you will have developed a comprehensive understanding of the internal components that comprise a PostgreSQL service and their collaborative dynamics, resulting in a reliable and robust solution.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of PostgreSQL's key capabilities and gain a comprehensive understanding of its inner workings.
- Discover the art of extending PostgreSQL's core features and effectively troubleshooting any challenges that may arise.
- Explore the vibrant community and open-source ecosystem that forms the foundation of PostgreSQL's development and innovation.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Gain proficiency in installing and preparing PostgreSQL for various methods and platforms.
- Develop a solid understanding of the internal components of a PostgreSQL service and their collaborative dynamics to deliver a comprehensive solution.
- Acquire knowledge about essential tasks performed by PostgreSQL DBAs, including backup/restore operations, security measures, tuning, and troubleshooting.
- Explore popular extensions and compatible tools that can expand and enhance the capabilities of PostgreSQL.
- Discover the PostgreSQL Community and learn how to actively contribute to the project's development and growth.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is highly recommended for Entry Level Database Administrators, as it provides a suitable starting point for their journey. It assumes some prior knowledge of Database Management Systems (DBMS) to ensure a smooth learning experience. Additionally, senior or experienced developers will find value in this book, particularly in gaining insights into the latest features incorporated in the most recent version of the DB, enhancing their understanding and proficiency in its use.
- Introduction to Opensource Database - PostgreSQL
- Getting PostgreSQL to work
- Modern Options to get PostgreSQL
- Global Objects in PostgreSQL
- Architecture of PostgreSQL
- PostgreSQL Internals
- Backup and Restore in PostgreSQL
- Replicating Data
- Security and Access Control
- Most used Extensions/Tools
- Basic Database Objects
- Advance Database Objects
- Performance Tuning
- Contributing to PostgreSQL Community
Sonia Valeja: Sonia is an Indian DBA who started working in PostgreSQL in the year 2012. Since she has performed multiple migrations from Oracle to PostgreSQL, she learnt Oracle while working with PostgreSQL. She is a SME for beginner-level course on Open Source Database-PostgreSQL in one of her company. She has conducted multiple trainings on PostgreSQL for freshers as well as experienced professionals. Also, she has been an active participant at pgConf and has given lightening talk. She has worked extensively in Taxation as well as manufacturing based projects for Indian as well as African sub-continent.
David Gonzalez: David is a Mexican DBA with 10+ years of hands-on experience with different RDBMS such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, and MySQL. He is good at PostgreSQL Administration and Development and has written multiple blogs on PostgreSQL. He has participated in various projects for banking, IT, and Software companies.