Android application development with Kotlin [ eBook ]
eBook ISBN: 9789389423518
Publishing Date: May 2020
Looking for a Print Book ? Click here
This book aims to provide the knowledge around the fundamental concept of Kotlin languages, and it’s an application in Android application development. It covers basic to advanced concepts with practical examples. Each chapter in this book is a step by step journey towards the learning Kotlin and excel in various topics and concepts. It covers topics like data types, various functions, including lambdas and higher-order functions. It also covers advanced topics like Generics, Collections, DSL, Coroutine, etc. Most importantly, such concepts are explained with practical usage of it in Android application. You will get to know what is the best possible way to use these concepts while you develop an Android application. In this book, along with Kotlin, an attempt has been made where few Android-specific topics are also explained. For example, the application is using Architecture components, including ViewModel, LiveData, NavigationComponent, and also it uses Flow, which is a hot topic in Kotlin. While we learn this concept, along with that, we also develop a sample application where we can apply our learning and, in the end, have some tangible and measurable output.
Readers with little previous knowledge of Android application development can easily follow this book. Most of the chapters are code-heavy and focuses on practical usage of Kotlin’s features. Each chapter has code on the GitHub. You can check out this code and try it out. Or you can develop in parallel and cherry-pick things from the sample code base as and when you need it. Few chapters also follow the quiz at the end, and you can self assess yourself by going through that quiz. In total there are ten chapters.
Unleash the Power of Kotlin for Android App Development
- The book has theories explained elaborately along with Kotlin code and corresponding output to support the theoretical explanations. The Kotlin codes are provided with step-by-step comments to explain each instruction of the code
- The book is quite well balanced with programs and illustrative real-case problems
- The book is not just explaining theoretical concepts of the language. Still, it explains how the full-fledged application can be developed using some latest tools and technologies and create an excellent Android application using Kotlin
- Few of the chapter offers the quiz at the end of it. And you can revise the concepts quickly
- A rich sample application is created to demonstrate Kotlin’s capability in various parts of the application
- Quite the latest concepts are discussed in depth. For example, Flow, NavigationComponent, Coroutine, ViewModel, and LiveData
What will you learn
- Know the basics and many advanced concepts of Android.
- Able to code in Kotlin for your Android application.
- You will know how architecture components can be used in Android application with Kotlin.
Who this book is for
The book is for readers with basic programming and android application development skills. The book is for any engineering graduates that wish to use Kotlin as a programming language for their Android application or wish to build a career in this direction.
- Getting started with Kotlin for Android
- Kotlin Fundamentals
- Go to the Depth of Kotlin
- Design Patterns in Kotlin
- Analyzing and Architecting a Meal Recipe App