Application Layering with VMware App Volumes [ eBook ]
Peter Von Oven
eBook ISBN: 9789389328776
Publishing Date: 12 November 2019
Looking for a Print Book ? Click here
Delivering applications within a virtual desktop environment has always proven to be a challenge given the stateless nature in which virtual desktops are deployed. How can organizations deliver applications each time an end-user logs in to his or her desktop given that the desktop they just logged in to has been created as a brand-new machine and basically has nothing installed on it?App Volumes delivers applications in real-time to virtual desktop machines, enabling VDI deployments to return even greater flexibility, agility and cost reduction. Enterprises can fully utilize the stateless virtual desktop model in all use VDI uses cases. For users such as developers who required a persistent, fully-stateful virtual desktop machine of their own, they too can take advantage of the advantages of a stateless virtual desktop model enabling better return on investment as well as centralised application delivery.
Step-by-step guide to designing, deploying and managing VMware App Volumes
- Understanding the concept of application layering
- App Volumes architecture overview
- Installing App Volumes
- Working with App Volumes, App Stacks and Writeable Volumes
- Integration with VDI, app publishing, and desktop publishing solutions
- Advanced configuration and management
What will you learn
This book will enable you to learn about how to deliver real-time applications using VMware App Volumes. You will start by learning about the architecture of the solution, the use cases, and what benefits it delivers.Following the introduction, you will learn how to install the App Volumes software, how to configure it and then how to create your application layers to ready them for delivery to end-users.Finally, you will learn how App Volumes integrate into not only other VMware EUC technologies but also some of the market-leading third-party solutions from Citrix and Microsoft.
Who this book is for
This book is designed for virtual desktop administrators and architects who are looking to design and deploy a solution that can deliver applications on-demand to end users who are using virtual desktop machines. App Volumes enables them to move to a stateless VDI model which is both more cost effective and easier to manage.
To understand the concepts and technology used in this book you will need to have a good working knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating systems for both desktops (namely virtual desktops) and servers (used for installing App Volumes and other functions such as AD, file sharing, and RDSH).
- Introduction to app layering & VMware App Volumes
- Installing VMware App Volumes
- Getting familiar with the Management Console
- Creating & Configuring AppStacks
- Creating & Configuring Writable Volumes
- Advanced Configuration
- App Volumes & JMP
- Delivering AppStacks with Citrix XenDesktop
- Delivering App Volumes with Microsoft RemoteApp
- Delivering App Volumes with Citrix XenApp
- Delivering AppStacks with Horizon Apps
- Delivering ThinApp apps with App Volumes