Cyber Safety For Everyone
Authors: Jaago Teens
Publishing Date: October 2017
Dimension: 23 X 15 X 1 cm
Children’s online life is different from those of grown-ups, if their online safety is a constant worry this book is a great resource to use. It tells you the kind of trouble children can get into when they are online, and suggests simple yet effective ways to deal with such situations. JaagoTeens has written a book based on their live interactions with students, and most of the examples given here are true incidents. Schools have been inviting them for repeat sessions because they are aware of the issues plaguing students of various age groups, and are able to address the same. This book is a must-read for every parent, teacher or child who wants to avoid the temptations and perils of cyberspace.
A Must read to avoid the temptations and perils of cyberspace
- Understand that the Internet is a very public space, with our online lives and real-world lives closely intertwined, each affecting the other.
- Importance of Netiquette, good etiquettes when online, and the importance of leaving clean digital footprints.
- Tips for protection of very young kids (5yr-8 yr), when online.
- Cyber-bullying/online abuse: staying away from online abuse and steps to deal with cyber abuse.
- Identifying and keeping potential online predators and pedophiles at a distance.
- Knowing what information is considered personal information and why it is to be kept private.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN
- Awareness of the IT Act, including clauses that deal with hacking, impersonation, stealing of another’s online data, cyberbullying, etc.
- Gaining knowledge of (post-Nirbhaya) women-centric laws to tackle online sexual harassment, voyeurism and stalking.
- Concept of plagiarism and the importance of avoiding plagiarism and copyright violation.
- To modify the privacy settings on FaceBook, Whatsapp, LinkedIn, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, Flickr, Pinterest, to ensure one’s personal safety.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This Book is a useful resource for anyone who wishes to know about Internet Safety. It can be used to introduce internet safety to students to ensure that safety becomes second-nature to them.
- An Introduction to Internet Safety
- Real World and the Virtual World
- Basic Do’s and Don’ts
- Protection of very young kids (5 to 8-year olds)
- Online Gaming
- Recognizing cyber bullying and dealing with it
- Privacy of Personal Information
- Online Predators
- Smartphone Safety
- Safe Online Payments
- Laws that protect against Online Harassment
- Online Plagiarism
- Privacy Settings for Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat and other online platforms
JaagoTeens, a Registered Society formed by Leena Gurg and Usha Subramaniam to promote internet safety and addressed over 80,000 students,teachers,parents and corporate employees through 250+ workshops and events. Ably assisted by enthusiastic and trained college volunteers, the team encourages positive use of and responsible behaviour on the internet. It employs multiple formats, including highly vibrant and innovative game-based learning workshops and events. Online challenges and experiences collected during these workshops have been documented and some have been compiled into this extremely helpful book.
Leena (M.Sc.(Hons.) Physics, PG diploma in Computer Science and Applications, B.Ed.), a teacher for over 25 years, and Usha, a freelance writer, have put together their skills to write this unique and engaging book which is particularly relevant in this internet age.