Databricks Lakehouse Platform Cookbook
Dr. Alan L. Dennis
Authors: Dr. Alan L. Dennis
Publishing Date: 18th Dec 2023
Dimension: 7.5*9.25 Inches
Book Type: Paperback
The Databricks Lakehouse is groundbreaking technology that simplifies data storage, processing, and analysis. This cookbook offers a clear and practical guide to building and optimizing your Lakehouse to make data-driven decisions and drive impactful results.
This definitive guide walks you through the entire Lakehouse journey, from setting up your environment, and connecting to storage, to creating Delta tables, building data models, and ingesting and transforming data. We start off by discussing how to ingest data to Bronze, then refine it to produce Silver. Next, we discuss how to create Gold tables and various data modeling techniques often performed in the Gold layer. You will learn how to leverage Spark SQL and PySpark for efficient data manipulation, apply Delta Live Tables for real-time data processing, and implement Machine Learning and Data Science workflows with MLflow, Feature Store, and AutoML. The book also delves into advanced topics like graph analysis, data governance, and visualization, equipping you with the necessary knowledge to solve complex data challenges.
By the end of this cookbook, you will be a confident Lakehouse expert, capable of designing, building, and managing robust data-driven solutions.
- Create a Lakehouse using Databricks, including ingestion from source to Bronze.
- Refinement of Bronze items to business-ready Silver items using incremental methods.
- Construct Gold items to service the needs of various business requirements.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Design and build a robust Databricks Lakehouse environment.
- Create and manage Delta tables with advanced transformations.
- Analyze and transform data using SQL and Python.
- Build and deploy machine learning models for actionable insights.
- Implement best practices for data governance and security.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is meant for Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, Business intelligence professionals, and Architects who want to go to the next level of Data Engineering using the Databricks platform to construct Lakehouses.
- Introduction to Databricks Lakehouse
- Setting-up a Databricks Workspace
- Connecting to Storage
- Creating Delta Tables
- Data Profiling and Modeling in the Lakehouse
- Extracting from Source and Loading to Bronze
- Transforming to Create Silver
- Transforming to Create Gold for Business Purposes
- Machine Learning and Data Science
- SQL Analysis
- Graph Analysis
- Tips, Tricks, Troubleshooting, and Best Practices
Dr. Alan L. Dennis has been writing software for over 30 years. His experiences range from being one of the first employees at a startup to leading a team of over twenty developers. He has held titles such as Programmer, Architect, Chief Technical Officer, and member of technical staff. He has worked for many Fortune 50 companies, with a wide range of industry experience.
He holds a Doctorate in Computer Science with a concentration in Big Data Analytics, a Master’s in Computer Science with specialization in Artificial Intelligence, and a Bachelor’s of Business Administration with focus on Computer Information Systems. He teaches graduate classes at several universities and is a Databricks Certified Trainer.